Internal Track Application
All IDEAS Internal Track applicants must already be enrolled in a PhD program at the University of Georgia and apply to IDEAS during the first or second year of their program.
IDEAS seeks to recruit into the program UGA PhD students (from any relevant program on campus) interested in developing a cross-scale perspective on infectious disease ecology. Successful applicants will be supported for one year on an NSF Fellowship ($34,000).
Academic and Professional Requirements
Students must maintain a B average in all coursework and satisfactorily progress through the IDEAS program requirements:
- A three-course series in the area of infectious diseases (ECOL 6150, ECOL 8510, and ECOL 8530)
- At least two graduate-level journal clubs
- Participating in IDEAS-sponsored computational workshops and science communication workshops
- Completing a semester (or summer)-long internship
- Incorporating an interdisciplinary perspective into the dissertation research
Criteria for Evaluation
Applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Incorporation of two or more scales of biological organization (e.g. molecular, cellular, organismal, population) into proposed research.
- Alignment of research goals with the program goals (e.g. desire for advanced quantitative training, integration of empirical/quantitative/cross scale approaches, interest in gaining experience across job sectors).
- Student’s background and fit for the program.
Application DUE DATE: April 10, 2020.
Please submit the following materials in a single PDF to IDEAS@uga.edu:
Your research proposal (two pages).
Please be sure to include current degree program and year of matriculation (no more than two pages).
A letter of support from your dissertation advisor (no more than one page).